Colorado Building Farmers offers two levels of classroom learning: Principles of Business Planning and Management and Advanced Classes.
Principles of Business Planning and Management
The Principles of Business Planning and Management program is a series of evening classes designed to help New Farmers and Ranchers explore farming as a business and provide Intermediate and Experienced Farmers and Ranchers with tools and ideas to refine and enhance their business management, production, and marketing skills.
Participants in Principles of Business Planning and Management classes will:
- Identify their business short term and long term goals, and a vision/mission statement for the business
- List clear action items for each short term and long term goal
- Explain how personal and customer values influence their business plan
- Perform SWOT analysis to identify potential marketing niche, customer base, location, etc.
- Develop a strategic market position and strategy consistent with the mission developed in the business plan
- Create a marketing plan that includes product, pricing, placement and promotion goals and strategies
- Identify the 3 Cs (customers, costs and competition) and the 4 Ps (product, pricing, placement and promotion) within a strategic marketing plan
- Understand the importance of recordkeeping for decision making in business planning, including production and marketing
- Describe the differences between variable and fixed costs
- Develop a basic production plan including a calendar, estimated total output of product per market channel, and monthly labor estimates
- Estimate projected revenue by market channel
- Estimate net return to management (pay yourself)
- Understand labor as a financial risk factor (cost, source, cost of management)
- Identify recordkeeping tools (software, etc.) and strategies (when and how to input data, and how to use data to improve business management)
- Describe how marketing plan and cost estimates link to production plan
- Understand the need for basic financial statements and describe how they are used
Advanced Classes are available for individuals who have successfully completed the Principles of Business Planning and Management classroom program. These classes are structured to provide additional “advanced” level programming in key topics in business planning. Advanced Classes include:
- Legal Considerations for Farm Risk Management
- Managing Ag Labor in Complex Enterprises
- Developing Yourself as an Ag Business Leader
For more information about any of the above programs, contact us.